Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Appam for Avani Avittam

Yesterday August 24, 2010 was Avani Avittam and also happens to be Rakshabandhan ....I made Potato Karamadu (Veggie), Satruamudhu (Rasam), Keerai Moolagootal, Kesari (since it also happens to be pournami and as always I do Satya Narayana Pooja) and last but not the least Urad dhal Vadai (and also had left overs Sambhar and my fav chepankiyangu roast). I had postponed the appam which is quintessential to be made on the day of Avani Avittam for the evening snack. I haven't made this in years...do not ask me what happened in the previous years....  Then I remembered that I did not have a shallow pan...and I knew that this is a must for making appams but I have only flat bottom frying pans...so I ventured making this in with my paniyarakal. I am planning to Pancake Puffs Cast Iron set soon....since my paniyarakal moulds are very small and it gets cumbersome to flip it. After a heavy lunch I set out to make the yummy appams....as mentioned in my earlier posts I am big fan of sweets made with jaggery so I was even more excited in making this.....I did have hits and misses the first two rounds but did get it right...though my first two sets turned dark....it still tasted good...crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.....this can be made with rice flour or maida (all purpose flour). But I love it only the ones made with rice...the maida stuff does not turn that tasty....I could not get good photos...but it was too good....hence decided to post it.


Ingredients: (16 pieces)

3/4th Cup Rice soaked in water for an hour or two
1/2 Cup Jaggery
4 Cardamom
1/2 Cup Coconut
Oil for frying

Drain the water completely from the rice and grind it well. Add the jaggery, cardamom and coconut and blend it along with the rice. Heat the paniyarakal with little oil and lower the heat. Pour into the moulds. Once you see it is cooked and is turning brown ...flip it over to the other side carefully using two spoons. Add some more oil on top the appams. Take it out and place it on a kitchen towel to drain out excess oil when you see the flipped side has also turned brown.
If you are making it using a fry pan always remember that you should only do "ONE" appam at a time and also do it on a shallow pan. I know couple of my friends have been looking for this recipe in my blog...sorry could not post it earlier. Hoping it will come in handy for the upcoming Sri Jayanti and future Avani Avittams....Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails