Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Curry Leaves (Karuveppilai) Thugayal

I will be engrossed downloading music or chatting with a friend and Amma will have some errand for me. Poi konjam karuvepillai peruchindu vaa ma (She will ask me to get Karuvepilai (curry leaves) from the garden )...here we just get it out of the refrigerator…back in India this plant is very much part of every one’s back yard.

These leaves have a nice aroma and as I write the recipe for this ...am being carried away virtually to our backyard...I can recollect the smell of the fresh leaves even as I right the recipe for it.

Even as I start writing the recipe for this…my mouth is watering!! I love this thugayal.
Now, getting to the ingredients for it –
Bunch of fresh Karuvepilai (Curry leaves)
2 tsp Urad Dhal
1 tsp Channa Dhal
1 inch of Ginger
4 to 6 – Red Chillies
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp dry coconut
2 marble size tamarind
Pinch of Perungayam (Asafoetida)



Take a tsp of oil and fry all the spices and add the freshly washed Curry leaves and toss it at the end. Let this cool.
Grind it in the mixer. Add salt to this paste.

The Curry Leaves (Karuvepilai) thugayal is ready to be served.
Eat this with rice and lot of ghee…

3 comments:

  1. Sangeetha, Smells delicious on seeing the recipe and makes me think of our own backyard with lots of trees, plants and fresh veggies backhome !! Will try and let you know my comments . Thanks for the recipes and will look forward for more and more !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Super receipes and nice pictures. Great to read your blog.
    Vidya

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can avoid perungayam and add vellai ellu which is to be roasted dry, add one tea spoon of musturd which is fried. this will increase the taste

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails