Friday, April 30, 2010

Urad Dhal Vadas



We cannot imagine a festival without Vadas right!! My mom always says that we have to make that can be fried on festival days...it is a norm according to her (she keeps telling me ella pandigaikum yennai vechi yedavadhu pannu ....is a statement that I hear from her all the time!)...my son is a big fan of vadas....I must say he has taken a liking to anything that is fried!! I was talking to him about the menu that I was going to prepare for the Tamil New Year and the only thing that he picked from the list I gave him was vada and started asking me everyday till I made it for him.... that is the long story short about the vadas...Is there a rhyme or reason to make it??........!!

As I sit on my couch writing about this...feel like making it today too since it is starting to rain.....

Ingredients: ( You get about 20 Vadas)
1 Cup Urad Dhal
3/4th Teaspoon Salt
1 1/2  Green Chilly
1 Inch Ginger
1/2 Tsp Whole Pepper (optional)
Curry Leaves
Cilantro
Pinch of Turmeric
Oil for frying

Soak the Urad Dhal for an hour. Do not over soak it ...will take more oil while frying the vadas. Grind the Dhal with green chilly and ginger. Do not add the salt while grinding the batter...it makes the batter to get watery. So always add it after grinding it. You can also grind it and refrigerate in an air tight container to be used for the next day...especially when you whipping up a meal for a big party this comes in handy.

After grinding the dhal. Add the turmeric, curry leaves, salt and cilantro. I did not add the pepper since my son will find it difficult to eat it...you may add it if you want.

Keep your palm scooped up. Put a little bit of water. Place a ball of the batter on your palm and make a whole in the middle (it is a norm to make a whole in the vadas but I guess it is more for making it cook well inside!). Immerse them in the hot oil. Take them out when they are cooked.

The yummy vadas are ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails