Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kasi Halwa (White Pumpkin/ Ash Gourd Halwa)


I am back after few months...but not with my newest of the newest recipes though. I did try something new yesterday and I will post that one too....it is such a thrill to try and post. I feel even more happier when it turns out good. Diwali is around the corner and I wanted to post something festive...I made this couple of years ago for Diwali of course....but something kept me from not posting this. Finally I found time to do it.

But I heard this used to be a tedious one those days...but not now....I make it in the pressure cooker! Note: Since this is pressure cooked it reduces in quantity.

Ingredients:

White Pumpkin (Ash Gourd) - 4 cups shredded
Sugar - 2 Cups
Orange color - a pinch
Ghee - 2 TBSPN
Finely chopped cashew, almonds and powdered cardamom

Pressure cook the pumpkin upto one whistle. Let it cool. Drain the water. You may use the cheese cloth to squeeze out the excess water from the vegetable. Reserve the water. Do not throw it away.

Add sugar to this water and let it dissolve. Boil this in medium heat. Add the cooked ash gourd and stir it till you get the halwa consistency (the water must be entirely absorbed). Add the food color.

Add ghee when the halwa starts sticking to the bottom of the pan. Turn off the stove and add the roasted nuts and powdered cardamom. It is pretty simple to make.....Enjoy this Diwali with a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails