Thursday, February 10, 2011

Rathasapthami Special



Today  is Rathasapthami,...I do not want to go into the details of it...as people know about it...If you need more info then click on this link Rathasapthami.

I learnt from my mom that my patti used to draw ther kolam (charriot kolam) in front of our house and make chakkarai pongal and offer it to the Sun God. My patti will make the yummy sugar pongal and then draw kolam in our back yard too...(these days with the advent of big apartment complexes we have forgotten all this I guess....) and did neivediyam to the Sun God. I haven't done this in years..so decided to follow it here too.....

I made "ther kolam" in a piece of paper...am not good at neli kolam but it turned out good! I made chakkarai pongal and offered it to Sriman Narayana. I also made lemon rice and coconut rice...wondering why my coconut rice turned brown....though the white colored coconut rice is good...the slightly brown coconut brings an extra flavour hence I made it that way...I also made Curd rice and Karamani Sundal.

I am not going to elaborate the method of making lemon rice and coconut rice since everyone knows to make it...but will give a jist of it ....it might help someone entering the world of kitchen looking into my blog!

Ther (Ratham) Kolam


Lemon Rice


Method for preparing lemon rice

Tempering - Mustard seeds, Channa Dhal, Urad Dhal, Ground nuts, Curry leaves, Turmeric Powder, Hing (perunkayam), finely chopped greenchillies and Oil.

Prepare rice in the microwave. I used Basmati rice (use 1:2 ratio i.e. 1 Cup rice to 2 Cups Water).
Take oil in a pan. When it gets heated add the items mentioned for tempering. Keep it aside.
Squeeze lemon and add salt to it. Add the tempering to this lemon and salt mixture. After the rice cools down. Add the tempering to it and mix well. I also add fenugreek powder to it...it brings a nice flavour to it( Fry 1/4 tsp of vendayam (fenugreek seeds) in little oil. Powder this and add it to the lemon rice).
 Enjoy the yummy lemon rice!

Coconut Rice (Thengai Sadam)



method of making coconut rice

Prepare rice in the microwave. I used Basmati rice (use 1:2 ratio -i.e. 1 Cup rice to 2 Cups Water).

For tempering - Mustard Seeds, Urad Dhal, Channa Dhal, Broken Cashew, Ground Nut, Curry Leaves, Red Chillies, Hing (perunkayam), 1 Tsp Butter and Oil
I used 3 serving spoons of dry coconut for a cup of rice. You may add it as per your taste.
Take little oil and ghee in a pan. Add the ingredients listed for tempering when it gets heated. Turn off the gas and add the coconut. Saute it for few minutes. Add Salt.
Add this to the cooled rice. Voila....Coconut Rice is ready! These mixed rices are so easy to make...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails