Thursday, February 3, 2011

Aloo Dum (Potatoes simmered in tomato gravy)

I am making with this my left over bag of baby potatoes that I used for making oven roasted potatoes...since then the remaining baby potatoes. They have been lying in my pantry since then...I had mentally decided to make aloo dum.. but when was the question. I made capsicum gravy couple of days ago but sorry I did not take pics of it (will post it when I make it next time)...lazy me....


So after the yesterday's snow storm....I wanted to try something yummy to break the gloominess...yesterday all of us were lazying around the house in the evening not knowing what to do with the tension that we might loose power! God saved us....even though we had more than a feet of snow.


We are all fine in our house enjoying yummy food...luckily we have had a nice bright day (even though ...it is almost 4 PM) and to enjoy the end of snow storm (gloominess) I made aloo dum...My son had fun playing in the snow. I brought some snow into the house and we made snow man and snow woman and we had lot of fun.....my son was thrilled playing in the snow and building snow man....and enjoyed aloo dum for dinner with roti.....now lets get  to another fun part of making the aloo dum...

Ingredients:

12 Baby Potatoes (or you may use the normal ones too by cutting it into 1 inch pieces)
4 Medium Sized Tomatoes
2 TBSPN Cashew
1 Inch Ginger
1 Tsp Jeera
3/4th Tsp Red Chilly Powder (my chiily powder is very hot..so you may add it as per your taste)
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp Fennel Powder
4 Tbspn Yogurt
1 Tsp Kasuri Methi
Salt to taste
Cilantro for garnishing


Peel the skin off the baby potatoes (you may use normal potatoes by cutting them to 1 inch pieces), pierce holes in them with a fork and fry them in oil until they are cooked (not necessarily golden brown). Next time I am planning to bake them in oven and add it to the gravy as a healthier option (this time I wanted to do it but there is some problem with my oven and hence could not try it).
Puree the tomatoes along with ginger, cashew (this is one ingredient I love adding in my gravy that uses puree...brings out an extra flavour to the dish) and jeera.
Take a combo of oil and butter in a pan.
Add 2 cloves an 2 cardamom along with jeera. Let the jeera splutter.
To the puree add all the spice powders - chilly powder, turmeric, fennel powder and garam masala pwder
Add this mix to the pan. Let it boil.
When it starts boiling add the yogurt and kasuri methi (I love adding it to the dishes especially using aloo).
Now add the fried potatoes and simmer it. close the pan with a lid.
Cook it still it thickens to form a nice gravy....garnish it with cilantro..voila...enjoy it with rotis, pulka or even jeera pulao...yum yum yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails