Monday, September 13, 2010

Vegetables Simmered in Coconut Milk

It was one of the days when I spent time cleaning and did not have time to prepare anything elaborate but my heart longed for something different - in two aspects "cooking" and "eating". I tried something similar to thing in a restaurant in downtown Chicago - I think people from in and around the Windy City must have heard about this one. My friend's family and our family dined at this restaurant during the Memorial Day weekend. Everything was good and especially this one ( I do not remember the exact name of it but the only vegetable that was added to it was cauliflower but I added couple more)...and my friend told me to make this and let her know about it...so there it goes...It turned out pretty easy... simple to make and delicious to eat!

Ingredients Needed:

3 Cups Cauliflower Florets
1 Capsicum (bell pepper) Cut into 1 Inch Pieces
1 Potato Cut into pieces (boil and keep them)
1 Cup Onion Cut into Big Pieces
2 Cardamom Whole
1 Bay Leaf
2 - 1 Inch Piece Cinnamon Stick
2 Green Chillies
1 Inch Piece Ginger
1 Tin Coconut Milk
3/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Jeera Powder
1/2 Tsp Jeera
3 Tsp Oil
Salt to taste


Take oil in a pan. Add the green chillies, ginger, jeera, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and the cardamom. Saute the onion till they are light brown. Add the turmeric and add the capsicum. When they are half cooked. Add the cauliflower and the boiled potatoes. Fry them for few more minutes.

Now add the coconut milk and turn the heat to low and let it boil till it gets creamy (say for about 20 minutes at least). The end result was delicious. The fragrance of cardamom infused in it....wow ....excellent. I have to say you must make this few hours before you eat since the essence has to soak into the veggies....I made it and ate it then and there....but it was yummier when I had it the next day since it had all the essence from the spices absorbed in it by then. I tried it with roti on the day I made it and the next day I had it with basmati rice....I liked both...but loved it more with rice...my mouth is watering as I write....will definitely make it in another couple of weeks....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails