Friday, September 17, 2010

Black Channa Gravy

I made this to go with sevai this time...but I make it as a side for rotis too. I got the recipe for this from my friend. She had got this for lunch and it was so yummy ...that was long back when I was working....it has taken me so long to try this at hime. It is called as Kadala Curry and very popular in Kerala. They make this as a side for sevai and vella appam too (white appam).
I know there are lot of recipes floating around from different bloggers for sevai and kadala curry....but since I made it...I wanted to post it too....

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Cups Black Channa (soaked for 10 hours or over night)
2 Cardamom
1 inch Cinnamon Stick
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
2 Small Tomatoes
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Jeera
1/2 Tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 Medium Sized Green Chilly
1 inch Ginger chopped finely
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1 Tbspn Olive Oil (or any other cooking oil)
6 Curry Leaves

Boil the Black Channa with a cardamom and crushed ginger up to five whistles.
Heat the oil. Add the Jeera, Cardamom, Cinnamon Stick, Green Chillies, the remaining Ginger and Curry Leaves. Add the onions and saute till it turns light brown. Add the tomatoes and cook well.
Add the cooked black channa and nicely mix it. Add more water if needed.
Add the turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Cook well.
Turn off the gas. Garnish with cilantro. This curry can be had with roti too. But I made this as a side for sevai this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails