Friday, September 17, 2010

Sevai (Idiyappam)

I haven't cooked for the past few days except preparing rasam and veggies for my son...have been relaxing after my son's birthday ...I had so much left over that it lasted for 3 days. I prepared Veg puff, Rava Idli, Chutneys, Bisi Bele Bath, Curd rice, Peanut Thai noodles and gulab jamun...everyone loved the food and the party was a big hit! I have been relaxing a bit after the party preparations...sleeping, eating and relaxing....

I tried the rice noodles at the Indian store in our town but they do not carry it. I have heard that the chinese store in our town have it but I did not have time to check it out at that shop. Called my manni (SIL) this morning but the recipe that she gave me for making the sevai was pretty cumbersome and she gave me couple of ideas for making it and I went with the easy one!! I have been thinking of making this for almost 6 months....once we had a pot luck and a friend of mine had made this. I have been thinking since then to make it....at long last "my craving and wish fulfilled". It turned out easy and simple..


Sevai:

2 Cups Rice Flour
1 Cup Hot water (it need not be too hot and must not be too warm)
1/4 Tsp Hing (it is generally not added but I like the touch of it!)
Salt to taste
Murukku/Idiyappan press
Sesame Oil
Sevai/ Idli plates

Add the hing and the salt to the rice flour. Knead the rice flour by adding water little by little. The dough should be similar to the one we make for seedai/thattai etc but a little bit softer.
Grease the sevai/idli plates with sesame oil.
Grease the press on the inside with sesame oil inorder to prevent the dough from sticking onto the press. Put the dough into the press and squeeze them direcly on the greased plates. Two cups of rice flour can yield 16 of these sevais (as seen in the picture). Steam them for about 10 minutes in the idli cooker...guys note if you are going to use the plates in pressure cooker do not put the weight (as we do while making idlis).
Some people sprinkle fine coconut powder on the greased plates and then squeeze the sevai on the plate...I did not do that while making the sevai..you may do it if you want. This goes well with (as a plain sevai) with Black Channa Dhal Gravy/  Stew/ Veg Kurma.

You can mixed varieties sevai too -
Lemon Sevai:  Do it the way you do the lemon rice and add the sevai (by making them into bits) instead of the rice
Coconut Sevai: Do it the same way we do the coconut rice and the sevai to it crumling them into pieces.

Other things you can try are mix veggies to it or making coriander sevai or mint sevai....let your imagination run and try diiferent things from it.


Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Strands look nice and soft..must have tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks da...you should try it out sometime...it is very simple and easy to make...or next time look for instant sevai at the Indian store...and you can make a side for it...it will come in handy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails