Saturday, June 12, 2010

Gongura Pulippu Kuyambu and Pavakkai Fry

After a long long time I visited the Indian Store to buy the Pooshani kai (ash gourd) to make the tasty kootu (with a difference) which my cousin always makes back home. I even got the recipe to make the kootu but since then we have not been getting ash gourd in our Indian stores.....but when I peeped into the refrigerator section of the store I found gongura leaves and also smell of the fresh mint lingered through my nose. So I bought them. I have not been feeling well for the past few days and my son has also been sick...so the mint is still in my refrigerator and I am planning to make thokku (one variety of chutney) with it to go with rice or any other tiffen. Will post the recipe for it soon.

Last Wednesday I made gongura pulippu kuyambu and pavakkai fry (bitter gourd) the recipe as follows. This was pretty simple to make and yummy to eat. I always buy spinach or use beet greens/turnip greens. So this was different...in the sense truly desish!


Ingredients:

Fresh Gongura leaves 2 to 3 cups
Toor Dhal 1/2 Cup
Methi seeds 1/4 Tsp
Red Chillies 3
Sambhar Powder - 1 Tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 Tsp
Urad Dhal - 1/2 Tsp
Tamarind Paste 1 Tsp (Optional) - Gongura by itself has the sourness in it so you may skip adding the paste
Oil 1Tsp for Tadka (tempering)

Take the leaves of the Gongura from the stem. Wash and Chop the Gongura leaves.
Pressure cook the leaves and toor dhal. Always while making kootu or other sabzi involving dhal and the veggies - "first put the dhal in the bottom of the vessel and then top it veggies/green leafy veggies". Allow  upto 3/4 whistles.
After the pressure is released. Take little oil in a pan. Add mustard, methi seeds, urad dhal and the red chillies (you may use green chilles alone or combine both the chillies..leaving it to your choice).
Add the cooked dhal and gongura leaf with sambhar powder and tamarind paste.
Add water if it is too thick. Let it boil for some time.
Gongura pulippu kuyambu is ready to be served with hot rice.

Now coming to Pavakkai (bittergourd) fry


I was so bored of making pavakkai pitlai with it. My husband has taken a sudden liking towards this vegetable. I always liked it but since he did not like it till date ...I never ventured to make it.

Now that he likes it ...I am planning to try different recipes with it. For the past few months whenever he got this veggie from the store it has been pavakkai pitlai only and I got bored of it. Hence, set out to make dry veggie with it.

Wash and cut it into small pieces. Microwave it for about 8 minutes. I used 4 medium sized bittergourd. The bittergourd you get here is not that tender so I always microwave it before making the veggie.

Take oil in a pan - roast 1 1/2 tsp channa dhal, red chillies (2) and 3 tsp dry coconut ( you can use dried, fresh or frozen) . Grind it after cooling it.

Take a tsp of oil in a pan and add mustard, urad dhal, curry leaves, turmeric, salt and bitter gourd. Fry it for a while. Add the powder that was made as mentioned above. It gives a better taste to it than by making it just by adding chilly powder to it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails