Thursday, May 20, 2010

Karumuru Thattai

Since we went out for dinner last night I have left overs of yesterdays spinach macial, carrot veggie and sambhar hence nothing much to do in the kitchen today.... My son has been asking me for seedai since last week...though it is also easy to make...I am scared to do it alone (when put in oil there is a chance for it to splash all over and end up getting messy....the trick is to always roll the seedais into irregular shape and the seedai balls should be to be brim of the oil ....even though I know it...I do not venture into that).

I have been thinking of making thattai....if we are making this in India it is a laborious process. They soak the rice in water and then dry it in a clean muslin cloth. Take it to the mill (or grind in the mixie at home) to grind it to be made into thattais, murukkus, seedai etc. I do not have to any of it. I haven't made thattai in years....I love it so much.

Ingredients: (makes about 20 thattai of the size you see in the picture)
1 1/2 Cup Rice Flour
1/2 Tsp Urad Dhal Flour
1 Tsp Red Chilly Powder
3 Tsp Ghee
2 Tsp Channa Dhal (soaked in water for couple of hours) or If you have forgotten to soak it then you can use peanuts (roasted) or pottukadalai. I used the pottukadalai since I had not planned ahead!
1/4 Tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
Water
Wax Paper for making the thattais
Oil for frying


If you have urad dhal powder you may use it as is. If you do not have it then dry roast it in the pan or take 2 tsp of urad dhal and microwave it for a minute (the time varies depending on the power of your microwave).
Grind it into fine powder.

Take the Rice flour in a bowl. Add the Urad dhal powder, red chilly powder, asafoetida, ghee, turmeric powder and the pottukadalai.
Knead it well by adding water as needed. Make it into a nice ball (the dough should not be too soft or too hard).
Now heat the oil for frying the thattai.
Take the wax paper. Make small balls and flatten it with your fingers. Poke it using a fork so that it does not puff up while frying in the oil. Do not allow them to dry for too long before frying them in oil.
Make couple of them and fry it oil. As you fry simultaneously flatten the balls (thattais)..this will keep them from drying. Crunchy thattais are ready to be served. This took me less than an hour to make them (including the prep time).

I do not like giving my son store bought fried items. Whenever we eat the store bought snacks he always asks for it...I end up giving him some cookies since I do not want him to eat it. Today I was so happy serving him home made thattais...

4 comments:

  1. Looks crunchy!!useful tip on use of pottukadalai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments dear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hems, I remember eating your thathi at I-50. Brings back memories :)

    Vidya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vidya! I will try to make thattais and bring it when I come to DC to visit you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails