Monday, March 1, 2010

Malai Kofta

I wanted to make malai kofta and have been thinking about it for a long time. I once made it ..if my memories serve me right.... I made it at my perima's house soon after I graduated....it seems sooooooo long as though in my previous birth. But at that time I was not sure how it had to be made and it was a flop show although everyone managed to eat it without telling me that it was not all that great! They were just being polite at not telling me as to how bad it was....!!

I always order this whenever I go to the restaurant. I love this...this time it turned out great....I will be making it again sooonnnnn...............
During my shopping saga last week end...I got all the veggies needed for making the kofta curry.


Things needed the Koftas:

2 Large Potatoes
2 Carrots
10 strands of Beans
1 Cup Tofu
All purpse flour
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
Chopped nuts 1/2 Cup
Oil for frying the koftas

For the Gravy:

1 Tsp Zeera
 Inch piece cinnamon stick
1 Bay Leaf
1 Green Chilly
1 Tsp Ginger cut finely
1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 cup onion cut finely
5 Tomatoes
10 Whole Cashews
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Cream
Salt
 
I always use microwave for boiling the veggies. You may do that the way you are comfortable with.
Microwave the Potatoes without cutting them (the whole ones).
Cut the carrots and beans to small cubes and also microwave them but make sure they are not tender and take it when they are three-fourths done. Drain the water completely. You may use a clean kitchen towel to take the excess water from the veggies. Reserve the water from the veggies for adding it to the gravy.

Mash the potatoes and add the chopped nuts (you generally find the nuts in the koftas you are order in the restaurants....they give a nice crunchy taste to the koftas!), carrots and beans without any water. Add the tofu by making it into fine crumbs. I am using tofu (you can resort to panneer not necessarily stick with tofu). As mentioned in my previous posts I am substituting tofu for panneer as much as possible in my cooking.

Add all the spices to the veggie mix and add salt. I am avoiding adding green chillies to the veggie mix since my son is too small and I do not want him to accidentally bite the chiilies in the veggies. You may add it if you want. Instead, I am using the green chillies in the gravy.

If you feel the veggies are kind of soggy do not worry just toss in  bread crumbs and this will take care of the extra moisture in the veggies (but do not toss them on tava adding bread crumbs is a better option).

Now the koftas are ready to be rolled out as balls. You may shape it the way you want it and coat it well with the all purpose flour before frying them in oil. Fry the koftas and keep them aside. I got some 12 koftas with these.

Now coming to the gravy - Take some olive oil or any other oil you use and temper it with zeera (after it splutters), bay leaf, cinnamon and add the ginger and green chillies. Add the onions and saute till it is light brown.
Add the tomatoes and cook it. You may add the water which you reserved it while squeezing the veggies.
Add the spices mentioned above in the ingredients needed for the gravy. Also add the salt.
Run the cashews in the blender and add it to the gravy (you may make a paste and add it to...I leave it to your preference) Make sure you have enough gravy while making this dish...otherwise the koftas absorb all of them!! Add the cashew powder and allow it to boil.
Now add the cream and boil for few more minutes. Remove the bay leaf and the cinnamon stick before adding the koftas.

Take extra care while adding the koftas to the gravy and do not keep mixing it after adding them ...otherwise it will break. Some people suggest adding the koftas just before serving. They tell you to heat them separately and add the koftas to the gravy before serving....but I feel this way the koftas do not get the taste of the gravy. I want my koftas nicely soaked in the gravy and get the taste from the gravy too...hence transfer the gravy to the serving dish and arrange the koftas in them. Incase you are worried that the koftas will absorb the gravy in entirety,,,,make a little extra gravy and reserve it. You may add the extra gravy just before serving....

Serve this yummy malai kofta with roti/nan or ghee rice...........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails