Friday, March 5, 2010

Eggless Condensed Milk Cake

It was yet another day when I bored of cooking the same old stuff..roti, dhal, channa. sambhar...I was thinking of other options for dinner...but nothing came to my mind. I could have atleast spent that time browsing or reading a nice book rather than pondering over what to cook??? I drag myself to the kitchen to make dinner and finally decide to make roti and dhal...when I open the shelf  tada...I find the condensed milk sitting right there behind my wheat flour...so I finish making the dough for the roti...cook the dhal...and set out to make this yummy condensed milk cake...

It was rich and delicious..and  tasted similar to the famous plum cake that we regularly get to eat from the bakery back in India. I always love to eat the deserts as soon as I finish making it ..hot hot hot ....and could not wait to eat it..I let it cool down and turned it on a plate..it just came off without sticking at the bottom of the pan..I was so happy..I rejoiced the moment  and then cut a piece and took a bite....it was soft, moist (warm too) and nutty in the middle and was crispy (from the edges) on the sides.....everyone must enjoy baking this cake some time or the other...Before I forget...this recipe is also one from the book that my Perima gave...This does not call for too much butter or sugar so in a way that is goooodddddddd.....



Ingredients for making it -

1/2 Tin Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4th Cup Chopped nuts - Raisins, Pecan, Walnuts and Almonds
1/2 Stick Butter (50 gms)
1 Tsp Cocoa Powder
2 TBSP Sugar
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Pinch Salt
1/2 Cup Water

Sift the Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, Cocoa Powder and Baking soda.
Rub in the butter and sugar and mix well.

Roast the nuts in the microwave (except raisins) for about 2 min in total (microwave them for 30 min and then stir it up repeat the process). After they are roasted toss it with the all purpose flour.
(Note: Whenever you are adding nuts or fruits always remember to toss it in little flour before adding it to the mix. That way these nuts do not settle at the bottom while baking.)

Add the condensed milk, water and the nuts and mix well.
Grease the pan. You need a 9 inch cake pan for baking this cake.
(Note before pouring the cake mix into the pan - Always sprinkle little flour on the greased pan and turn it upside down to get the excess flour out. This helps in preventing the cake to stick at the bottom and come off easily when getting the cake out of the pan).

Pre-heat the oven for 350 degree.
Pour the mixture in the cake pan. Bake the cake for 25 minutes or until the fork comes clean when immersed in the cake.
This cake is good to be served as is since it has lot of nuts in it. You may top it with whip cream just before serving.

1 comment:

  1. A nice soft cream or a choclate sauce would go well with such cakes as u r so focused on presentation!!!!
    Is your perimaa too biased? Has she not passed on the cooking art to other children in the family??
    Lucky u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails