Monday, August 31, 2009

Ghee Rice

Pasta or Fajita's tastes good and I have acquired a liking towards it...but rice has unparalled taste and I can eat it any time of the day...When I was around 5 years old...it seems I use to eat rice with dhal even at 6 in the morning (the sound of the whistle from the cooker was good enough for me...it seems I will bring the plate and ask my mom to serve it for me!!). It is a staple food for South Indians.

Instead of serving plain rice ....saffron rice, badam rice or ghee rice etc go well with curry.
This time I made ghee rice to go with the capsicum masala.

Basmathi rice - 1 1/2 cup
Green Chillies - 2
Black Pepper - 1 tsp
Zeera - 1 tsp
mustard - 1/2 tsp
Cashew - 10
Curry leaves
Salt

Cook the rice by adding ghee to it. It gives extra flavor to it. The rice should be cooked in such a way that it comes separated (and not mashy). You can split the rice by using a fork (and not to break them). I cook rice in microwave by adding 3 3/4th cups of water for 1 1/2 cups of rice.
Take ghee in a pan and add the mustard, green chillies, zeera, black pepper (it can be added even after powdering it..I will leave it to you), curry leaves and cashew. Add the rice and salt and toss it for some time.

Ghee rice is ready to be served with capsicum curry (the recipe for this is available in my blog) or any other curry of your choice.

(Note: It is always best to grind the pepper whenever we need it. It loses the medicinal value when it is powdered and kept for a long time and also the flavor.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails