Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Kunukku (Rice and Dhal Pakoras)

Kunukku is very famous in Tamil Nadu. Not sure whether it is made in other parts of India. It is a nice evening snack in our household. I could not come with a better English name for it....hence simply calling it rice dhal pakoras. My patti used to make this all this time. You can also make Adai with this batter by adding water to it. Adai is made similar to dosas but would rather say it is closer to the way pesarattu looks. I am not a big fan of Adai so patti used to always make kunukku for me. Once my friends had come home for some dance practice for an inter school competition and patti prepared this for everyone and they all enjoyed it. As I write my mouth is watering....will sure make it once again sometime next week!


Ingredients:

2 Cups Raw Rice (you may use par boiled rice too). This time I used Idli Rava since I had this in my pantry
1/2 Cup Toor Dhal (it comes crispier if you add more of this dhal)
1/4 Cup Channa Dhal
1/4 Cup Urad Dhal
6 Red Chillies
1/2 Cup Grated Coconut
Hing
Turmeric Powder
Oil for frying

Soak the rice, red chillies and dhal for around 5 hours. I soaked the dhal and red chillies separately since I used idli rava. If you are using idli rava soak it water just enough for the rava - do not add too much water.

After 5 hours drain the water completely from the rice and dhal. You may also use a colander to remove the excess water. Grind it into a coarse batter.

Add salt, turmeric and hing and mix it well.

Take oil in a pan. After it gets heated drop small dumplings (balls) into the oil. Take it out once it starts turning slightly brown. Drain the excess oil using a kitchen towel. You may also add bell pepper or mint to this batter and make this snack. Serve this yummy crispy snack with chutney or ketch up...I love it "As Is"..
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Even my mouth is water while reading it.

    On one of the Kolu days, this Kunnukku would be a snack for the visitors our home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails