Monday, June 21, 2010

Rava Idli and Peanut Chutney

As mentioned in my previous posts my family is recovering from bout of cold and related stuff. We have kept ourselves busy by making visits to the Doc and pharmarcies!! We just want to get better and we are looking forward to it. All that said....it was one of the days after our visit to the doc...I did not have much choice and was pretty tired too and with one big goal "to make my son eat" since he was going with out food .. I decided to make the rava idli...I was scared to give it an attempt since that was the first time I was making it and also scared what if it does not turn out well...I would have to make something all over again and keep my family waiting at the table for dinner...but left it to God and ventured to make the idlis.

After all it turned out good...I made sambhar and the peanut chutney (it is always a good hit in our house) to go with it!


Ingredients:
Rava - 2 Cups
Curd - 2 Cups (Back home they use the sour curd to make the idlis...but I some how do not like to use sour curd.)
Carrots - 1 Grated
Tadka - Green chillies, Mustard, Curry leaves, Urad dhal, Channa dhal and Cashews
Onions - 1/2 Cup (optional)
Oil
Salt to taste
Idli Plates

Take a pan and roast the rava with little ghee. (Do roast it for a while even if you use pre-roasted rava)
Before you start mixing the batter. Prepare the tadka and fry the onions for few seconds and add it to the rava.
You may use the raw grated carrots...but since my son may not feel comfortable that way. I microwave the grated carrots for couple of minutes before using it in idlis.
To the rava add the curd and salt.
I learnt from my folks that we need to make the idlis then and there and it should not be allowed to stand in the curd for a long period of time. It yields 16 idlis.
Grease the plates and add the carrots (you may alternatively add it to the dough too) and steam the idlis...serve it with sambhar or chutney of your choice..

Peanut Chutney

Dry roast  Peanuts with skin (about a handful).. and 1 1/2 red chillies I always made it without the skin but recently my friend passed me the tip of making the peanut chutney with the skin...indeed it tastes better!  and grind it well with water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Serve it with idlis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails