Friday, April 2, 2010

Minestrone Soup

My friend was the reason behind trying this one. During one of our phone conversations she mentioned about the recipe and informed that she makes the stock and stores it for a week and it helps in making soups whenever needed. Hence, last week I got leeks during my visit to Walmart...was not even sure whether I will be making this though!! I started the prep work for making the soup ....telepathy a call from the same friend who inspired me to try the soup. Hence, I made this chatting with her over the phone... it was pretty useful to get the doubts cleared then and there...she told me the process and I made it ..of course we chatted about "myraid things". ranging from whether their project would get extended till end of May to tips on getting free passes to the zoo's and museums in Chicago ...The process of telling the recipe triggered her taste buds to have the soup...and she was saying that she does not have all the ingredients to make it and she has to wait until Sunday to make this

She then asked me did you buy celery...I said "No"... then she asked me do you have "fresh fennel"...the answer was again a big "NO"...still it did not deter me from trying it and I went ahead and prepared the soup with the ingredients I had. It was not bad after all...it turned out good.


Ingredients:

1/2 Onion
1/2 bunch leeks
3 Tomatoes
2 Carrots
1 Zucchini
3 Tbspn Rajma
3 Tbspn macaroni
2 Bay Leaf
1/2 Tsp Dried Parsley (you can use fresh ones)
1/2 Tsp Dried Basil (you may use fresh basil)
1/2 Tsp Fennel Powder
1 Tsp Pepper Powder
1 Tsp Olive oil
Salt to taste

Cut the vegetables into small pieces. Pressure cook the Rajma.
This was the first time I used leeks and when I cut it.... it smelled more or less like spring onions. Hence, when I went and looked for it in wikipedia it did say that it belonged to the family of onion and garlic!
Cut Carrot, leeks into small pieces and microwave them for few minutes (not until tender).
Reserve some carrots to be added to the soup.
Then take a heavy bottom pan and add these microwaved vegetables with enough water. You may add more water later. Cook for an hour. By now the vegetables would have cooked nicely. Then use a colander and to separate the vegetables from the stock. This stock can be preserved for a week or two.

Take a teaspoon of oil and add bay leaf.
Saute the Onion. Add the Carrots and  Zucchini. When they are half cooked add the tomatoes. After they are cooked add the boiled rajma and pasta to it.
Add salt, pepper, parsley (dried or fresh), fennel powder and basil (dried or fresh).
I did not have celery and fennel with me. You may add Celery while preparing stock and fresh fennel leaves while preparing the soup.
Add the stock and simmer it for half an hour.
The yummy minestrone soup is ready to be served....
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails