Thursday, January 28, 2010

Almond Cashew Burfi

I am back after a while....Lot of my friends and relatives have been enquiring about "Yenn Samayal" missing in action!! I have taken a break from work. When I was working I used to meticulously spend time every weekend since I wanted to think something outside of work..now have I started getting lazy or what....no thats not the case.....I am at home enjoying time with my two year old that is the reason. I am trying new recipes but not finding time to sit in front of the lap top!! I have been thinking of finding some time to post the recipes...but when I get free time I end up cleaning and not blogging!! I saw the movie Julie and Julia couple of weeks ago and this movie rekindled my spirits to cook as well as write. I loved this movie...planning to read the book "Not sure when??!!"... I did not want to disappoint my dear friends and relatives....so here I am back to the world of blogging...

At long last I found sometime to sit for couple of hours in front of the lap top!! So wanted to start with a sweet note after the long break!! But it has been sweets galore ....this is the third sweet recipe for today!!

This was also one of the sweets I prepared for Diwali...



Ingredients -

Almonds - 1 cup
Cashew - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 1/2 to 2 Cups
Water - 2 cups

Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Turn off the gas and add the almonds.

Soak the cashews separately in hot water. After half an hour peel off the skin from the almonds.
Grind cashew and almonds together to a nice smooth paste.
Dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of water and then turn on the gas. Bring it to boil till it gets one string consistency. Add the cashew almond paste to the sugar syrup. When it starts sticking to the pan. Slowly start adding the ghee to it and keep stirring by preventing it from sticking to the bottom.

You will know it is ready to be transferred on to a greased plate when it starts forming a frothy stage (the way it gets for mysore pak). You should not keep it too long since it will start forming into crystal. When you pour into the greased plate and make pieces it should be soft.

When it is ready transfer it to a greased plate. You need to cut them into pieces when they are warm (not after they get cooled down).

You may decorate the piece with cashew and almond alternatively (when they are warm press the nut) and make into pieces.

1 comment:

  1. it seems a easy recipe. Though I get lazy to try something new apart from the regular cooking but i thing I have to try making this burfi for Rijul. you know how crazy he is about sweets.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails