Thursday, March 31, 2011

Eggless Pan Cake (or Waffles)

I was bored of eating roti and sabzi again and again...this is kind of my staple dinner. I wanted to make pasta but did not have lot of ingredients to make it hence I resorted to something simpler yet comforting! I have been flipping through a baking book for months but never ventured to make anything from it ...it is about eggless baking although I eat the cakes and other stuff bought from the store containing eggs..I can never thinking of using that at home....the link for the book "Baking without Eggs".

That book is quite interesting to see so many tried and tested recipes. I have recommended the same for couple of my friends too. I am not a big fan of pan cakes but always wanted to try it out at home but wherever I looked they had eggs in it. I came across the recipe for eggless pan cake in that book...although I have been reading this book I never actually went till the fag end of the book..I was always browsing through the cakes and cookies section of it....there it was hiding in the "special and miscellaneous recipes section"...and luckily I had all the ingredients listed in it...although it is a breakfast item....I thought so what...lets make it for dinner....Thanks to "Rosemarie Emro" the author of the book....even though it did not have eggs it came out soft and fluffy. All of us thorougly enjoyed it! The recipe is same for making waffles too...since it was a maiden attempt I cut the recipe into half. Planning to make waffle this Saturday using the same recipe given below. I would also like to add a note from the author that these can be frozen too.....so enjoy!


Ingredients (in the book it is mention that it makes about 8 medium sized pan cakes..but I was able to make 6 pan cakes of the size shown in the picture with half of the recipe mentioned below)
2 Cups Unbleached All Purpose Flour (I used the bleached one only)
2 TSPs Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt (optional)
3 TBPSN Sugar
2 Cups Buttermilk
4 TBSPN Oil or Apple Sauce (I used oil)
1/4 Tsp Vanilla Extract (optional - I did not use it)
Butter for cooking

Method:

In a bowl, combine all the items listed above except the butter until they get smooth. The batter consistency is that of oothappam's consistency.

(Since I cut the recipe by half and tried I actually used 3/4th cup of a yogurt and added 1/4th cup of water and used this instead of using 1 Cup of buttermilk..You may try this too)

Heat a skillet or non stick tawa to medium heat. Melt the butter and pour the batter. When this top side appears cooked (i.e. it will be as same as making othappam) and when you try it flip it if it comes easily and appears slightly brown. Flip it on to the other side and add butter. Take it out when it turns brown.

Serve it with dollop of butter and maple syrup!

Voila! yummy pan cakes are ready...you may add strawberry, blueberries to it and make them too...will update about making waffles after trying it this weekend. Want to try the same with wheat flour....will try it out sometime. I also made baked potato along with this...will post that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails