Friday, July 16, 2010

Lemon Pickle

I had been to my H's cousin's house during my trip to California and had the lemon pickle made by her (and that too organic)..it was awesome...learnt organic produce are easily available and at a lower cost too over there...I have made ready made raw mango pickle but nothing lemony. I have always heard from my friends that lemon pickle comes out very well....Thanks to my cousin for inspiring me to make it....she rekindled my spirits to try it out.

Actually both of us are not lovers of lemon pickle ...that was also a primary reason for me not making it. But H and I love the pickle served at Aurora Balaji temple....we love it...never miss it when we go!! When my husband tried out what I made "he said it tastes the way it is made in Aurora'...I was so happy....that means it is "par excellence"!!

Here goes the recipe for making it....


6 Lemons (they were so big about the size of mandarin oranges)
2 1/2 Tsp's Salt
2 Tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 Tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Vendayam)
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp Mustard
3 Green Chillies Slit lenght-wise
Water
2 Tbspn Sesame Oil
Hing

Cut the lemon into 1 inch pieces. Place the lemon pieces in enough water with salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
I presurre cooked with just one whistle (you may alternatively cook them directly on the stove until they are 3/4th done).  Cover the vessel and keep it aside for a day. Do not throw the water away.

Back home they lightly fry methi seeds and turmeric pieces (referred as varali manjal in tamil) and grind them together. But I did not do all that....went with the simpler version of it by using the turmeric powder!!

Fry the methi seeds in dry pan and keep it aside. Grind it into a fine powder after it is cool down.                Take Sesame oil in a pan. Add mustard and green chillies. Let it splutter. Add the turmeric powder, hing (perunkayam) and red chilly powder. Add the cooked lemon along with the water. Let it cook until the water is absorbed. Store pickles in glass jars. You can store this in refrigerator for few months. Enjoy!! This is just a start.....wait for me to post the recipe for my fav mangai thokku in another couple of months.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails