Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Readymade Kootu Podi

Whenever I visit India...I bring lot of podis back with me...they are simple and easy to make...but still it is always nice when someone does it for you, packs it and gives it to you...ready to be used when you get back here. They are so handy. Though I like to use my own podis which are fresh...I tend to get lazy about it...mostly I end up using the kootu podi I get from India. Since they grind it in the mill they have a very good texture to it rather than what we grind using a mixie/blender. For my non Tamil speaking friends who peep into my blog...kottu means vegetable and dhal cooked together with spices added to it.



Ingredients:

Urad Dhal 1/2 Cup
Kadala Paruppu (Bengal Gram) 3/4 Cup
Red Chillies 5 - 7
Milagu - 5 Teaspoons (25 Gms)
Hing

Dry roast the above ingredients and grind it in a mixie in the form of powder. You may dry roast the coconut and add it along with the other ingredients and grind it for making kootu podi. You can store it in ziploc covers/airtight container in the freezer for months together!

Note: If you are using the componded hing (not the powder one)..then roast it in oil and then add it while grinding.

PS: The measure shown in the photo does not depict the exact quantity as set out in the ingredients section. It was just done for the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails