Friday, May 7, 2010

Stuffed Mini Sweet Pepper



I am so happy that I have posted 50 recipes...even though I liked the generic 50th post....felt did not do much justice to it since it was not made by me :( ....so I wanted to post something different...and marched into the kitchen with a big smile in my face (to make something new....it always makes me happy)!!....I had very little things in my refrigerator since I am having another trip this weekend (will tell you about it after I come back!!)....so had not stocked up the refrigerator to its brim (it was seemingly empty compared to how much it always stores)

I had got the mini sweet peppers to make bajjis...but did not find time to make pakoras with it this time too...I had both the giant bell peppers (call it this way because back in India...so do not get to see these big ones). Just think about stuffing this giant pepper...I felt it will need atleast 3 big potatoes to stuff one !! So choose the mini sweet peppers ....I like the texture, the firmness and the color of them....they are teeny tiny petite ones....and these will not need as many potatoes as the giant bell pepper would and also makes serving easier!!

I take them and cut their head off and take the seeds out....a pairing knife comes in handy to do this and be carefull not to cut them in the middle. I used the whole bad around 2 Lbs of the mini sweet pepper I got from Sams!!



Now coming to the ingredients and the recipe part -

2 Lbs (reserved like 10 of them from the bag for another experiment) and wash, cut the head part and de-seeded the rest
1/2 finely Chopped Onion
4 medium sized tomatoes
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Red chilly Powder
1 Tsp Salt
2 TBSPN Olive Oil

For the filling

3 Medium Potatoes
1/2 Finely Chopped Onion
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Coriander powder
1/2 Tsp Red Chilly Powder
1/2 Inch Ginger Finely chopped
1 Green Chilly
1/2 Tsp Jeera
1 TBSP Oil

Coming to the stuffing part - Microwave the potatoes as a whole for about 8 minutes. Remove them from the water after microwaving them as you do not want them soaking and absorbing the water. Mash them well you do not want any chunky parts in it.

Take oil in a pan and add the jeera, green chillies and the ginger. Add the onion and fry them till they are slightly brown, Add the salt, red chilly powder and the coriander powder. Add the mashed potatoes and mix it well. The stuffing is ready to be filled into the sweet pepper.

Before that....I forgot to mention that I baked them in the oven....So before you start filling pre-heat the oven upto 350 degree. Make small balls and start filling them with your hand. I feel it works better when you fill them with your hands rather than with a spoon. If you are scared that the filling my spill...you may close it with a paste made from all purpose flour and then bake it.

Now place them in the baking tray and sprinkle some salt and drizzle some oil on top of each pepper for about 30 minutes...the smell when it is baked is so goooddddddd...........

You may serve them as is after baking them....but what I did was took little bit of oil in a pan. Added Jeera and onions. Fry them then add the tomatoes till they are done. Add the sweet peppers slowly and make sure the filling does not fall out. Add more salt if needed.

I served it with rotis......was pretty happy about the way it turned out...happily posting this recipe..I am posting this with a big smile on my face "the 51st one"...with your wishes and patronage looking forward to doing more.....see you soon with another post ...bye bye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails