Sunday, April 18, 2010

Badam Kheer

I love the payasam which is jaggery based and hence keep making it all the time. I do not think twice about making Akkaravadisal. For this year's Tamil Varushapirappu I choose to diagress from making akkaravadisal and decided to make something different. I started to think of the different options available - "Semiya Payasam" was a big NO...then thought of making "Pal Payasam"  - I was not happy with that either...you may wonder "anyway she is not going to taste it ..so why bother".you know it should sound rich and delicious (I am even bored of hearing the same old stuff - nan varusha pirappuku semiya payasam pannen)..so finally decided on Badam Kheer. I had made this couple of years ago and totally forgot the way of preparing it.. so I called my perima to find the recipe...she is the one I resort to for any doubts related to cooking.


Ingredients -

4 Cups of milk
1/2 Cup Almonds (about 50)
3/4th to 1 Cup Sugar (as per your taste)
Few Strands of Saffron
Slivered Almonds for garnishing
Sara Paruppu (I guess this is called chironji)

Soak the almonds in boiling water for an hour or so. Always soak it in boiling water as it helps in peeling of the skin easily from almonds.
Grind it into a smooth paste.
Take a heavy bottom pan and add the sugar with very little water. Let the sugar dissolve well.
Turn on the gas after the sugarr gets completely dissolved.
After 5 minutes add the Almond paste.
Allow it to boil till the raw taste of badam is completely gone.
Add the milk and allow it to boil...simmer the gas and allow the milk to thicken....my husband told me that this made the kheer taste richer. It is not necessary to make it too thick...you may turn off the gas earlier too before it starts thickening (but it should not be too liquidy though).
He enjoyed the kheer. I also gave it to my friends who came home ...they enjoyed it too...
Take a teaspoon of ghee and add the slivered almonds and sara paruppu.
Add it to the kheer.
It does not take a lot of time.........and it is good to serve this during festivals and get togethers. This can be served hot or cold.....it tastes good either way!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails