Friday, March 26, 2010

Pecan Walnut Cake (Eggless)

My dearest niece got married on March 22nd. I wish her a very happy married life. May God shower all the best things for her. Here I made this cake as a toast for her "Happy Married Life"!! Since I just went to India....I could not make one more trip for her wedding ...but I had the oppurtunity to attend her Engagement and I am happy about that. I have been communicating with my cousin (her mom) enquiring about the arrangements, chatting/talking/emailing my niece about her shopping, packing, dress rehersals and what not...and felt good about being part of it this way atleast (though physically 1000's of miles away). Looking forward to see her soon...she will be here in another 10 days or so....I cannot wait for the moment when I can lift the phone and talk to her anytime of the day. ....I miss those days when we used to go around in my TVS Champ or on her Scooty shopping at Rekhas/Kamini, Cheenu temple, Veluk's upanyasams!! I miss all those things that I did together :(

1 Cup All Purpose flour
2 TBSP Condensed Milk (optional)
1 Cup Milk
2 Cups of Walnuts and Pecan
1 Tsp Hersheys Cocoa Powder
1 Cup Sugar
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Stick Butter (you may also  use refined oil)

Sift the flour and baking soda. Keep aside.

Microwave walnuts and pecan in milk for around 2 minutes and grind it after it cools down.

Add the butter, condensed milk, cocoa powder and sugar to the flour and mix well.

Slowly add the flour to the grounded mixture without forming lumps.

Grease the pan . I used a 9 inch round pan for baking this cake. (Note:  Always sprinkle little flour on the greased pan and turn it upside down to get the excess flour out. This helps in preventing the cake to stick at the bottom and come off easily when getting the cake out of the pan)

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F.

Pour the contents into the greased pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or when a fork is inserted it should come out clean without getting sticky!!

It came out well...dense and soft!!
It is good to be served along with coffee or as an evening snack. If you want it richer you may add  whipped cream or butter cream icing to it but it tastes pretty good without it too.

Best wishes to my dearest niece and her husband for a very Happy Married Life.....sure will bake a cake when she visits me :)

4 comments:

  1. @Hema
    "I cannot wait for the moment when I can lift the phone and talk to her anytime of the day"

    Ippove athnna pandrey :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hema,

    New site looks great. I like the slides of all the photos. It is cool. Looks like you are having fun. Enjoy! - Ammu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hems! Kalakara!! I like the post about the niece - very heartfelt. Is she going to be close to where u live?

    Vidya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the toast re:)..looks really yummy..cant wait to try it out myself

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails