Thursday, July 30, 2009

Kuzhi Paniyaram

This is a recipe famous in Chettinad. When you think of Chettinad...all one thinks of is
tasty and spicy cuisine ...but it is popular for its beautiful mansions too.

Today I am going to present the recipe for making Kuzhi Paniyaram. I had this for the
first time when my perima made it for me. It was yummy and delicious.

After I got married and came here my friend used to make it all the time. I used to get to
eat it whenever she made it!! This kindled my spirit to make it and during one of my trip
to India my perima gave that skillet (the paniyarakal) which she was using to make the
paniyaram. The one I use is a traditional one and not a non stick. For my friends here who
do not have this Paniyarakal ..you can check it out at Amazon (Pancake Puffs Cast Iron Set). If you guys are in Chennai or visiting Chennai make sure to try this at Sri Krishna Sweets ...I love the way they make it there,....Now getting to the recipe.


I make it with the left over Dosa/ Idli batter.

Ingredients -
3  Green chillies
1 Inch Ginger finely grated
1 Small Onion finely chopped
3 TBS Grated Carrot
Curry leaves
1 tsp Mustard
Oil

Take a tsp of oil and add mustard. Let it splutter. Add the onions, curry leaves and the green chillies. Saute for couple of minutes (this need not be fried until it turns golden). Add the grated
carrots. Add this to the batter.

Take the skillet and add oil into each mould. This should be cooked in medium flame.
When the oil is heated. Add the batter to each mould.
When it is done (turns golden brown)..flip it over to the other side using a fork (I do not have the stick that comes with it hence had to use fork!!) and add some oil to it. Less oil can be added if the skillet is non-stick.

Serve it with onion tomato chutney. The yummy kuzhi paniyaram is ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails